Here at The Whalley Wine Shop we are always looking at emerging wine trends. The most common question we get asked is about ‘Natural Wines’ so we thought we’d take this time to delve into what it actually involves. We have been looking into low sulphur, biodynamic and vegan wines and whether they are in fact the wines of the future…
The move to using very low levels of sulphur or not adding any at all is linked to the ‘Natural’ wine movement that has at its core the idea that adding anything unnecessary (sulphites) or taking anything away (filtering) reduces the genuineness of the wine. We have bought in a fantastic range of low and no added sulphur wines available featuring wines under 40mg/l of added sulphites. (The legal limits in the UK and EU are between 150mg/litre and 250 mg/l. To put this in comparison most dried fruits contain over 1,000mg/l)!
So with that said we have put together a quality case of 6 wines, 3 red and 3 white, all with sulphur levels under 25mg/l. To demonstrate you can avoid ‘sulphur dioxide’, whilst still enjoying top quality, flavour packed wines.
Our ‘Low Sulphur Case’ includes:
1. Vachnadziani Winery, Krakhuna, Imereti, Georgia (Sulphur level: 25mg/l)
2. Louise Chéreau, ‘Katharos’, Muscadet Sans Soufre Ajouté, France (Sulphur level: 25mg/l)
3. Viña Echeverría, ‘No es Pituko’, Chardonnay, Valle de Curicó, Chile (Sulphur level: 8.64mg/l)
4. Badiola, Tpranillo de Laderas, Rioja, Spain (Sulphur level: 24mg/l)
5. Viña Echeverría, ‘No es Pituko’, Cabernet Franc, Valle de Curicó, Chile (Sulphur level: 3.2mg/l)
6. Château de Campuget, ‘1753’, Syrah Sans Sulfites, Vin de France (Sulphur level: 10mg/l)
Only £65, reduced from £77.44- SAVE 16%!- Buy Online
Q. What makes a wine vegan?
A. Most wines are clarified during winemaking with a process called “fining” which most frequently employs the use of egg whites. Vegan wines are made without animal products, so winemakers either leave the particles to sink naturally to the bottom of the wine, or use non-animal products (which is more common in modern winemaking)!
So by popular demand we have put together a case of vegan friendly wines, but can be enjoyed by everyone! Includes one prosecco, one rose, two whites and two reds. Featuring some of our best selling wines in the shop averaging just £10 a bottle!
Our ‘Vegan Friendly Case’ includes:
1. Sacchetto Vini ‘Fili’, Glera, Veneto, Prosecco Extra Dry NV
2. Château Oumsiyat, ‘Cuvée Membliarus’, Assyrtiko, Bekaa Valley, Lebanon
3. San Marzano Talo, Verdeca, Puglia, Italy
4. Herdade do Rocim Mariana Red, Touriga Nacional blend, Alentejo, Portugal
5. Time Waits for No One, Monastrell, Jumilla, Spain
6. Campuget Rose, Grenache/Syrah blend, Costieres de Nimes, France
Only £60, reduced from £71.04- SAVE 16%!- Buy Online
Biodynamic wines are made from vineyards where grapes are produced using the ‘Biodynamic’ method of farming based on the agricultural theories of Rudolph Steiner, an Austrian philosopher. Does this method produce better wines? The only way to find out is to try for yourself..
Our ‘Lunario Biodynamic Case’ includes:
2 x Coste di Moro Montepulciano
2 x Civitas Pecorino
2x Ramoro Pinot Grigio Rose.
“Fruit forward wines showcasing single varietals from native grapes well suited to central Italy”.
Only £80, reduced from £89.94- SAVE 11%- Buy Online